Please note: There is no guarantee for the safety of private rides and shelter offers! Take care and consider following these suggestions:
- Never give a passport or ID to anyone other than a border guard.
- Update family members or friends of your location along the way.
- Note the license plate number and send it to your family or friends. You may also take a picture of the license plate and the driver‘s license. If something seems suspicious then get out immediately.
- Carry cash somewhere hidden on you, maybe even in multiple places.
- Memorize phone numbers for multiple trustworthy people.
- Develop a code word with your friends and family so that if you are in danger and cannot say that, they know what it means.
- If you get to a place to stay and you do not feel safe, then don't stay.